Diabetes and Regular Physical Activity
It’s very important for diabetics to improve their physical activities to lower blood sugar levels , improve energy level, better heart health and most importantly it might reduce the need of using diabetic medications because it helps the body use insulin better. Plan your Activities: Please discuss with your doctor what kind of activities would be best for you, then pick activities you will enjoy . start slow with maybe 5 minutes exercise 5 times/week , and when you start feeling comfortable increase your exercise by 5 minutes everyday (take the stairs instead of the
elevator). Set easy goals in the beginning because reaching your goals will give you motivation to stay active.
Over all just do the type of activities that you like whether its walking with friends in the park, dancing, walking in the mall , yoga …..etc.
As a diabetic you would want to be careful with your Activities.
Please check blood sugar before & after exercise , avoid activities if you’re not feeling well, carry a fast acting carbs in case of a low blood sugar (for example orange juice), try to do your activities with friends. In Summary your daily exercise would be your great path to live a healthy life style with 7 with out diabetes, it will help you reach your weight management goal & boost up your energy level. It will also help strengthen bones and muscles. exercise to relieve stress.
Managing Diabetes with Healthy Eating :
Meal Planing should be easy to follow and it’s very different from Weight Loss Diet Plans.
There’s no such thing as a “diabetes diet” in which you have to avoid foods you love.
Meal plan/Healthy Eating should include a wide verity of foods so you can get all the nutrients. You don’t have to avoid or stop eating any foods , however you may need to limit the amounts you eat and watch what, when and how much to eat .
Making smart decisions about serving sizes is the KEY.
Easiest way to follow a meal plan is to use a 9″ dinner plate.
Half of you plate should be non-starchy vegetables, a quarter of starches , and the other quarter should be healthy proteins. On the side you can add 1 choice of fruits.
Non starchy vegetables: green and leafy veggies .
Starchy vegetables : Peas, corn, Potatoes / Starch-Grains: Rice, Pasta , bread .
Protein : Eggs , Chicken , Fish , Beef, Cheese.
Please follow Portion size with starches because Carbs can rise your blood sugar , half of the meal should be non starchy veggies , and small portion of protein .
DIABETES MANAGEMENT BASICS
STRIVE FOR A HEALTHY BALANCE
• Eating healthy meals and snacks can help you to control your blood sugar
• Make sure that you are eating the correct amount and right kind of carbohydrates
• Limit your intake of foods that contain unhealthy fats, like fried foods.
• Include enough protein at each meal
• Try not to eat too little or too much food at mealtimes
Regular Physical Activity
• Check with your doctor before starting a physical activity plan
• Aim for 3o minutes of physical activity on 5 days each week. Try not to skip more than 2 days in a row.
• Start out slow, you may begin with 1o minutes of physical activity each day and increase to 3o minutes, 5 days each week.
Taking Medications Properly
• The right diabetes medication is important
• It is very important to follow your prescription medication instructions
• If your blood sugar is too high, talk with your doctor about adjusting your medications
• Never stop taking your prescribed medications without discussing with your doctor first