DIABETES MANAGEMENT BASICS
STRIVE FOR A HEALTHY BALANCE
• Eating healthy meals and snacks can help you to control your blood sugar
• Make sure that you are eating the correct amount and right kind of carbohydrates
• Limit your intake of foods that contain unhealthy fats, like fried foods.
• Include enough protein at each meal
• Try not to eat too little or too much food at mealtimes
Regular Physical Activity
• Check with your doctor before starting a physical activity plan
• Aim for 3o minutes of physical activity on 5 days each week. Try not to skip more than 2 days in a row.
• Start out slow, you may begin with 1o minutes of physical activity each day and increase to 3o minutes, 5 days each week.
Taking Medications Properly
• The right diabetes medication is important
• It is very important to follow your prescription medication instructions
• If your blood sugar is too high, talk with your doctor about adjusting your medications
• Never stop taking your prescribed medications without discussing with your doctor first